The original recipe calls for Hot Italian Sausage but you can always substitute the Sweet Italian Sausage and add hot pepper flakes for a little heat if that is all you have on hand in your kitchen. The mozzarella cheese makes the dish extra delicious.
- 1-16 oz box of farfalle “bowtie” pasta
- 1 lb of Sweet of Hot Italian Sausage (Crumbled)
- 12 oz mozzarella cheese (small chop)
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1-24 oz jar of tomato sauce
- 1 bunch of fresh basil
- Pecorino Romano Cheese
- Salt and Pepper
- Remove sausage from casing and add to large skillet.
- Crumble and cook over medium heat until done.
- Take the sausage out of the pan an leave 2 tablespoons of grease in the pan.
- Add the chopped onions and garlic to the pan and saute until done.
- Add a jar of Marina’s Tomato Sauce to the pan, add basil, salt and pepper to the mixture.
- Cook for about 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add Italian sausage to skillet and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer on low for approximately 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
- In a large pot fill with water and bring to a boil. Cook Farfalle according to package directions.
- Drain pasta and put back into pot.
- Add sausage mixture to pan with pasta and add mozzarella cheese and mix well until melted.
- Serve with Pecorino Romano Cheese, bread and a delicious salad. Enjoy!